The Friendship Conundrum

4166182931_ccbc31bfa6_b

{Image by Juliana Coutinho}

I was inspired last week by Rudri from Being Rudri.   She wrote a wonderful post on friendship and posed the question: how do you define a good friendship? After much thought I’d have to say I define a good friendship to be one that challenges our boundaries to their limits and for the better.  A relationship whose main existence is to help both parties excel and succeed.  Whose purpose is to lay a foundation of trust and love so sturdy that while something can penetrate it, nothing cannot break it.  That encourages self-growth and improvement.  One in which you can embrace any and all life experiences together or apart without fear of judgment – where together you experience every emotion known to man at least twice.

Friendship is selfless, it’s about thinking of someone other than yourself.  It’s welcoming a new employee.  Making someone feel at home when they’re far from it.  Opening your home to them.  Taking them out to dinner for no reason at all.  Coming to visit when they need you the most even if they say otherwise; even though they say “don’t come.”

A while ago I wrote about lost friends and in it I briefly dabbled into the ending of three of my childhood friendships.  I didn’t indicate the why but it all boils down to what is not conducive to a successful friendship.  In fact, it became about how I would not define a friendship.  Friendship is not running to others and disclosing information told to you in confidence, it is not throwing a tantrum on Thanksgiving refusing to have dinner with me, it is not wishing my boyfriend a Happy Valentine’s Day and say nothing to me, and it most certainly is not saying degrading things behind my back that bear no repeating.  And most importantly, it is not picking sides and excluding me.  They embodied behavior equivalent to that of a child and last I checked I am grown.

Thankfully, their voided presence in my life hasn’t affected me since I have a great network of friends and unconditional support.  All of whom are a pristine example of what does define healthy, successful friendships.  Times arise when we realize that the elimination of certain relationships are a blessing in disguise: creating a new found path for better relationships to flourish.

I feel some friendships can out last time itself.  Some friends are temporary and situational.  While others end bitterly or look for a way out.  Regardless, once a person decides they want out it becomes toxic until it ends.  Once a point is reached where one may want a way out: move on. Friendships are meant to be beneficial to both parties, once it stops being so, it needs to be discontinued.  The only relationships exempt are family members but that’s only because we can’t pick ‘em.

In other wonderful news, I was nominated for yet another Liebster! The lovely Charlotte from My Pixie Blog was gracious enough to bestow upon me this gracious kudos.  I’m not going to do the whole spiel but I will be more than happy to answer the questions she posed for her nominees.  Again, thank you Charlotte and here are the answers:

1) If you could lay down your roots anywhere, where would you go and why?  Here; where I am now in Northern Virginia.  It’s home and it has a great education system in place, wonderful cultural diversity and we’re less than an hour from the Nations Capital. Check mate.

2) What’s your favorite book of all time? I think Go Ask Alice is one that stands out to me.  Any Garfield comic, I feel I am his human counterpart.

3) What is your happiest childhood memory? Visiting my father in New York with my mom.  It was a nice getaway every few months.

4) Tell me about a tradition that’s been passed down to you, or one you’d like to have with your family one day? Thanksgiving and Christmas is all about family. We didn’t have traditions per se but it was quality time shared together. There was always yelling – but it’s how we show affection. With tons of laughter afterwards.

5) You’re on a deserted island with a boombox, an infinite supply of batteries, and three CDs. Which ones do you choose? I’d make mixes myself. One EDM,  one Hip/Hop and Pop, one International including Persian and Hispanic music. Then I’d sneak in my iPod 😉

6) What’s your beauty secret? Sleep.

7) Do you have an achievement you are most proud of, and why? Wow, stumped me. Not because I can’t think of anything but nothing that stands out as a topper. I’ll go with made it to work on time today – first time all week!

8) Who is your hero? Don’t have one,  we’ll say the person I most admire is my dad.

9) What is your favorite vacation destination? Does home count?

10) Tell me your worst date story! Surprisingly, I don’t have one.

11) What inspired you to start blogging? My thoughts needed a way out and I always wanted to start one. I like words.

Your Turn: Pick a question from above and answer it! Also, how do YOU define friendship?

sigmonster

• Lady Lilith
    November 30, -0001 at 12:00 AM

It is really nice to see that you admire your father. I am sure he helped you become what you are today as a person (and blogger 🙂

• Meg @ Lip Gloss and Lumber
      April 9, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Hi Iva! I have read Go Ask Alice at least 5 times, it’s one of my favorite books as well. The first time I read it I was like 15 and reading it again now, totally weird how different I view her story then and now. I don’t know if I could define friendship, for myself at least. But, one thing I can say about it: There’s two types of friendships we make in life, those that pass though our life and those that become part of our life. Oh, and hope you had a happy SITS day too 🙂

April 10, 2014 at 12:34 PM

That is so awesome! I was also around 15 when I read it, it was such an impactful book. I will need to reread it just to see how my views on it have changed since last i read it I was in high school. Very true and sometimes those that have become part of our lives tend to eventually pass through. And there’s nothing wrong with that. 🙂 Thank you for sharing your thoughts Meg and have a wonderful day! -Iva

April 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Hehe thank you Lady Lilith, I’d like to believe he has 🙂 So has all my surroundings. Talk soon! -Iva

• Jessica @ Independent Travel Cats
    April 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM

It is hard sometimes when friendships end, but sometimes they just stop working. Congrats on another Liebster award!

• Jennifer Barbour
      April 9, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Sleep. That’s what I’m missing! 🙂 Congrats on the award and your SITS Day!

April 10, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Lol Sleep is like my favorite – I could do it for hours. I think I must be part sloth because it’s a serious ordeal. Thank you Jennifer, I feel blessed 🙂 Have a great one and thanks for stopping by! -Iva

• Meredith
    April 8, 2014 at 3:06 AM

One of my biggest requirements regarding friendship is that I have a friend that is willing to put as much time and effort into the relationship as I am. It can’t be one-sided. I have dropped a few friends because I was the one making all the effort. I don’t feel bad about dropping them either. If they aren’t interested in me, I’m not interested in them! 🙂

• Sue Reineck
      April 9, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Iva, your post is so timely as I just finished a phone conversation with my friend Beth about this very topic. She was upset that a really close childhood friend was unable to be happy for her when she received some great news recently. To me, selflessness is indeed the most important part of friendship – true friends cheer you on and are happy for you, even when they are going through unfortunate times themselves. True friends always want what is best for you and will encourage rather than compete. I also found it interesting that you would choose to stay in NOVA. After this winter, I want to move back south in the worst possible way. But if I had to choose anywhere in the world, I would pick Sydney, Australia. My sister-in-law lives there and it by far offers the best quality of life I’ve ever seen (complete with handsome Aussie men!)

April 10, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Happy to hear this resonated with you in some way Sue. It is so true, I understand we all go through some things in life but it is about reciprocity – you be happy for me and I will be there to support you. If its one-sided someone is going to get hurt and offended, that’s not what it’s about. As bad as the winters are, the Spring and Summer is beautiful and even still, the winter is a nice hibernation time so as long as the snow gets it together – I’m fine with cold weather. As for Australia, this link made me change my mind about ever visiting the place: http://www.viralnova.com/australia-is-dangerous/ Lol. Have a great day and thanks for sharing your thoughts Sue! -Iva

April 8, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Agreed! It’s very disheartening when you’re the one constantly reaching out and keeping contact, making plans, while they idle by. Makes you feel as though you’re inconveniencing them or not at all a priority. What’s the point! Haha, I don’t feel bad either these days, I feel liberated. 🙂 Thanks for stopping by Meredith and have a great one! -Iva

• Rachel G
    April 8, 2014 at 9:51 AM

"I like words" is a good reason to blog! And it’s an awesome thing that you like where you live enough to say that even if you had a choice of anywhere, you’d stay right there.

• Jennifer McCullough
      April 9, 2014 at 11:24 PM

First off, congratulations on your SITS Day, Iva!!! I’m so happy for you!!!! And congratulations on another Liebster too!! I’ve been busy lately and haven’t stopped by in a while and look what all happened! :):) Good things happen to good people. 🙂 I have this saying when it comes to people and I think it applies to friendships, family, co-workers, anybody really. And it goes…if someone’s not for you, they’re against you. Personally, I try to keep the second group as far away from my life as possible, even if they are related to me;)

April 10, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Thank you Jennifer!! It’s OK no worries, life gets busy and i understand that 🙂 I am not always efficient or timely with visiting other blogs and I try my best to go to as many as I can but there is only so much time in the day! That’s a great saying and it definitely does apply to any- and everybody. Very true Jennifer 🙂 Hope you’re doing OK and we’ll chat soon no worries 🙂 Thanks for sharing this day with me and stopping by, have a great one! -Iva

April 8, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Yes it is Rachel! 🙂 It is great to love where I live because it took me a long time to do so. I grew up here but wanted to get away for so long and once I did I realized how much I missed it. Lol. 🙂 Take Care Rachel and talk soon! -Iva

• Wilma Jones
    April 9, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I have lots of friends of varying types. Most important – I learned to be a friend to myself. I think its hard to be a friend to someone else if you don’t like yourself. And your questions – my favorite vacay destination is Negril, Jamaica. I just returned last week! Visiting from the SITS girls. Enjoy your day!http://www.LivingHappierAfter.com

• MJ @ Luck Fupus
      April 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Your post is so very true, even though I’m quite late reading it. You hit the nail on the head with "situational" friends. I, as I’m sure lots of other do, have many of them. Friends from college, from bartending after college, from old jobs, high school… I’m Facebook "friends" with them, and I like seeing what goes on in their lives, but if we never became FB friends and "caught up," I’m sure my life wouldn’t have been affected in any way.I have very few "real" friends, and I’m fine with that. It seems the older I get, I start to weed them out. I hope that doesn’t sound bitchy. But, now that I’m an adult (yipes!) my problems are much more real than "OMG what am i gonna wear tonight?" I need people in my life who can handle real life. I hope that makes sense

November 30, -0001 at 12:00 AM

You’re never late doll and better "late" than never. 😛 It’s always a pleasure reading your comments. I agree there are SOO many people on my FB that my life wouldn’t be affected in anyway should we never cross paths again. You’re right the older we get we weed out the bad – but isn’t that a good thing? It’s not bitchy at all! It’s good because by the time we reach the "Golden" years, we’ll have people who can hang with us when "real" shit happens and through thick & thin. It makes perfect sense and I agree 100%! Hope you’re feeling better MJ, lots of love and have a great one! -Iva

April 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM

This is a wonderful point Wilma and so very true! Wow Jamaica! How wonderful 🙂 Hope you’re rocking a nice tan 🙂 Thank you for stopping by! Have a wonderful day Wilma -Iva

• Andrea Yancey Reyes (Life On Mars I Mean TJ)
    April 9, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Great post about friends and I loved your line, "once a person decides they want out it becomes toxic until it ends." This rings so very true. I once had to end a friendship, but it took me YEARS. The toxicity was terrible. So glad that you’ve been able to move forward from having to end toxic friendships.

• Adrienne Pomeroy
      April 11, 2014 at 1:00 AM

I love this post. I struggled a lot growing up when certain friendships would out grow themselves and disappear. But then I Realized how toxic it would of been to hang on to them I can count my really great friends on one hand and I think that’s awesome. I love having people around me who challenge me and love me. It’s a great combination. This post hit the nail on the head!

April 11, 2014 at 1:52 AM

That’s usually how it goes- your closest friends you can count with one hand and that’s all that is needed. 🙂 Glad you enjoyed this post and that it hit home for you Adrienne. Toxic friendships are never worth keeping or the effort involved in maintaining them so letting them go is best. 🙂 Glad you’re surrounded by a better network of friends and thanks for stopping by. Have a wonderful evening! -Iva

April 10, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I’m sorry to hear about the toxicity once in your life but glad you were able to eliminate it. 🙂 I feel as though the clearance of those friendships has helped me flourish in a way I never though possible, so for that I am grateful. Thank you Andrea for stopping by and have a wonderful day! -Iva

• Yulunda
      April 11, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Get out of my head! This is awesome and every word is so true as once we get a bit older and maturer, our circle of friends really should shrink as we totally get it and are creating that path to new flourishing friendships. Congrats on the nomination and thanks for stopping by my blog! God Bless

April 11, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Haha but I like it in there!! Exactly, you refine yourself as you age and so do the friends that you surround yourself with. They are, after all, a reflection of you. 🙂 Thank you for stopping by Yulunda and talk soon! Happy Friday -Iva

April 10, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Thank you Nicole and happy you find my blog interesting 😀 Hope to hear back from you and will be in touch – just bear with me I’m a bit slow on the communication/social side! Have a great one -Iva

• Lynn Kellan
    April 9, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Saw you at SITS! Nice to meet you…Right now, my favorite book is OUTLANDER by Diana Gabaldon. I love the way she writes about men and women in love.

• Susan Maccarelli
      April 11, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Happy belated SITS day! I liked your thoughts on friendship. My best friend is my soft place to land. Without lying, she is always on my side and will always tell me my but doesn’t look big — that is pretty much all I require!

April 13, 2014 at 1:40 AM

Thank you Susan!! It was such a freakin’ great day 😀 That is so wonderful that you have someone that is always there for you. It makes life that much more worthwhile and easier to tolerate. Lol I’m sure your butt isn’t big either. Have a great day and thanks for stopping by Susan!! -Iva

April 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I would totally read it if I didn’t have the attention span of a squirrel, I’m hoping I can put that on my "to-read" list at some point. Lol. 🙂 Thank you for sharing and stopping by Lynne, pleased to make your acquaintance as well! Have a wonderful day -Iva

• Susie Angelo (The Esthetic Goddess)
    April 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

My favorite vacation destination is my home too! It’s so peaceful!

• My Pixie Blog
      April 12, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Oh, I loved your answers so much! And it’s funny, fighting is always in my memories about my holidays–but seeing the family and all the drama… It’s family. In the end, I wouldn’t trad it for anything in the world 🙂 And yes, I loved reading your thoughts on friendship. Saying goodbye to girlfriends is sometimes harder than kissing boyfriends goodbye, isn’t it (well, I guess it depends on the gf. And the bf. LOL)? Anyway, It does hurt the heart. But a friendship that starts to feel poisonous is not one we’d want to keep in our lives and I think we learn as we go in life what is and isn’t a good fit for us. XOXO

April 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM

Something about fighting that always seems to stand out the most, lol. As much as we fight we’re there for each other and we forget about the arguments two seconds later. While it definitely depends on the bf/gf, it’s still hard either way – especially people you assumed would be in your life for good. However, it’s for the best and you keep smiling. I’m surrounded by wonderful people so I am a very happy and lucky lady! Thanks for the love and take care Charlotte! 🙂 Talk soon -Iva

April 10, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Agreed Susie! Home is where the heart is and my home is filled with joy and love so why not make it my favorite vacay spot?! Have a great day and thanks for stopping by! -Iva

• Vicki M Taylor
    April 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I think you’ve hit the foundation of friendship right on the nail. Great post. I enjoyed it immensely. I have found myself in the middle of beginning friendships, losing friendships and enduring friendships. Thanks for posting. I hope you’re having a great SITS day. Have a blessed day.

• Erika
      April 14, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I’m going to read this in parts. I just read about the friendship stuff.Friendship has been on my mind for the past few years… well, actually, my whole life… but it’s taken on a whole new thing since graduating college. I made friendships I never would have imagined there and opened up in a whole new way. I actually became "popular" and social — it was like I was a whole different person! But once I graduated, I had a hard time navigating the world of adult relationships and I still do. As someone who moves a lot, I have a lot of connections that are far away, but right now, few that are in the place I’m at. And this is one of the only places in the world where I have had trouble making new friends and it has been… a spiritual journey, to say the least. But it really has me thinking about what friendships are made of and what relationships mean. Yes, there can be friendships that last a lifetime… but I also think friendships are like threads sown… sometimes you go away to come back again at a later date. Doesn’t mean it’s less true, but we all have our journeys and some are less conventional than others.I really feel as if I am rebuilding my foundation and with that comes a real shifting of priorities and friendships. It’s almost as if I am starting anew. Going from having hundreds of people I considered to be friends to very few has been… sometimes very painful for me and at other times, healing. But the great news is that natural connections are being reformed even as I transform and grow more into my adult self.That said, I’ve always seen friendships as relationships that should enhance and encourage each other. The things that you described with your older friends are DEFINITELY not friendships. I definitely think the truest friendships reflect similar values… integrity, joy, excitement for each other. But everyone has their own definition of what they need out of a friend. And that’s okay, I guess, you just gotta be on the same page, I think. And sometimes boundaries have to be clearly defined.ANYWAY! Apparently I have a lot to say and a lot on my mind regarding this. Thanks so much for sharing your experiences and thoughts… great food for thought! (And apparently a great place as an outlet for mine, too, haha!)

April 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Thank you very much Vicki! So wonderful to hear you enjoyed it so 🙂 Hope you’re surrounded by wonderful and meaningful friendships and thanks for stopping by. Still catching up but my SITS Day was absolutely outstanding! Have a blessed day as well and take care Vicki -Iva

• Savvy WorkingGal
    April 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

It makes me sad to say most of my friendships from my childhood/college years have not stood the test of time. I returned to school at 29 (while working full-time) to take the accounting courses needed for the CPA exam when most of my friends were getting married and having children. Then I got married and moved and lost touch with my work friends. I’ve made a few friends since, but still find I don’t invest as much time into friendships like I should. Congratulations on your SITS Day.

April 10, 2014 at 12:27 PM

You know if they couldn’t stand the test of time then it’s best that they are not apart of your life. Otherwise they would just drain energy and that’s not what friendships are about. It’s give and take 🙂 I have a handful of friends that I keep close and matter the most to me and that’s all I need! Invest on one person at a time? Sometimes that helps. 🙂 Thank you and have a wonderful day!! -Iva

• Savvy WorkingGal
    April 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM

• Erika
      April 14, 2014 at 8:11 PM

I’m so happy about your answer about Northern Virginia. I want to feel that way about a place I live someday. I still have hope! :)And as for Go Ask Alice — oh my gosh, that book scared me and still does to this day! It jacked me up in 8th grade and I was so scared I would become an accidental drug addict and die. I try to suppress my memory of it. Haha! 🙂

April 15, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I’m sure you’ll feel that way about a place you live just give it time. 🙂 It took me a while to accept and love this place, lol. That book was awesome and further cemented my desire to learn Psychology. 🙂 I will respond to your comment below in a bit love, want to respond thoroughly. 🙂 -Iva

• Along Came Mary
    April 9, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Hi There! Visiting you from The SITS Girls! I am loving your blog already & hope you check out mine, too! Great content & pix you’ve got here 🙂 xo, Mary

• catherine gacad
      April 15, 2014 at 4:38 AM

love charlotte! great interview.

April 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Thank you Mary it is great to hear that you are enjoying my little slice of heaven. 🙂 Looking forward to connecting with you further and take care! -Iva

• GiGi EatsCelebrities
    April 9, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I have some great friends and I really couldn’t ask for better ones! They get me, accept me and support me regardless of what I might decide to do! I wouldn’t trade them in for anything!!!!!Oh and my best beauty advice: HEALTHY EATING!!! That’s right 😉

April 10, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Good to hear you have a great support system GiGi 🙂 It is important because we’re social creatures and it’s what drives us. Lol Yes you’re a BIG fan of healthy eating we know we know 😉 It is a wonderful beauty advice though so no haterade here. Will talk soon and thanks for stopping by love! -Iva

• Kathy @ SMART Living 365.com
    April 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM

You do a GREAT job of defining healthy and strong friendships. In fact, that type of friendship is the one I have with my husband. We’ve been married for 36 years and is as you say, "Whose purpose is to lay a foundation of trust and love so sturdy that while something can penetrate it, nothing cannot break it. That encourages self-growth and improvement. One in which you can embrace any and all life experiences together or apart without fear of judgment – where together you experience every emotion known to man at least twice." Thank you for these excellent reminders.

April 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM

That is OUTSTANDING! I love reading about marriages that last and seeing what they’re "secret" is – which there is none but it’s good to ask their input and opinion on the matter. So many things that fascinate me and that is one of them: marriage longevity. I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed this post and that your husband is not only a great spouse but a wonderful friend to you 🙂 Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts! Have a wonderful day Kathy! -Iva

• Jenna Brussee
    April 9, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Have a very Happy SITS Day! I am enjoying visiting your blog.

• Julie Moore
    April 9, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Happy SITS Day! I hope you have an amazing one! 🙂

April 10, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Thank you Julie, it was an amazing one indeed! 🙂 Have a wonderful day -Iva

April 6, 2014 at 1:04 AM

It is hard but definitely for the best. Thanks Jessica 🙂 Enjoy the rest of your weekend -Iva

April 6, 2014 at 1:03 AM

Wow your mother is impressive! 🙂 It’s very hard being a single parent, she’s definitely a strong woman and she raised a heck of a strong daughter! True, friendships drift and it is hard but sometimes life just goes on. If they were toxic, it was for the best!! Take Care Tamara – Iva

• Jessica @ Independent Travel Cats
    April 5, 2014 at 7:31 AM

April 4, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Ooh, I’ll answer! My hero is my mom. She lost her husband very young and powered on to give us kids that whole magical childhood thing. Respect.Friendship is such an odd duck to me. I hate that they can drift apart, but they can. I’ve only ever had to end two friendships that were really toxic, and that was really hard.

April 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM

That’s awesome 🙂 That’s a very good point about friendship and it’s true – I’ll go months without seeing some of my friends but when we do it’s as if time has never passed. Glad you have two great girls in your life, although by that point they’re more like family 🙂 Enjoy your weekend Kathy! -Iva

• kathy @ vodkandsoda
    April 4, 2014 at 5:24 PM

true friendship isn’t defined by how much time you spend together but how you feel and what you do when you DO spend time together. i have 2 very close friends; we’ve been close since grade 7 (i’m 38 if that gives you any idea of how long a friendship we’ve had) and although we dont see each other as often as we’d like, when we do get together, it feels as if no time has passed. that’s what defines friendship for me.